It is that time of the year again, the time when most of the world is covered in snow. When people snuggle with a cup of coffee, and a good book, in front of their fireplaces. The time of the year, when the world seems to be in a mood of celebration. Readying themselves to welcome a new year and before that celebrating the festival of winter cheer, Christmas. We wondered what different could we bring you this time around to make your Christmas and hopefully, your New Year different. And then we thought, why not bring easy to make continental dishes home. So, here is a curation of our favourite dishes for this season’s celebrations!
- Blood Orange Sangria:
- Mushroom and Spinach Strudel:
- Chicken and Waffles Tiny Bites:
- Shells Stuffed With Three Cheese and Vegetables:
- Roasted Mushroom and Veggies:
- Grilled Pineapple and Chicken:
- Barbecued Lamb Ribs and Smoked Eggplant:
- Fish Pie:
- Peppermint and Chocolate Fudge:
1Blood Orange Sangria:
Giving a different twist to the traditional red wine drunk in the memory of the savior of mankind. The blood orange sangria will surely lift your spirits up.[table “126” not found /]
- In a big pitcher, mix orange syrup, orange juice, vodka, and the cut fruits.
- Refrigerate this mix for a minimum of one hour, you can also leave it overnight, but no later than a total of 10 hours.
- Add the wine once the other ingredients have been allowed to stew with each other for a while.
- Refrigerate it for another hour.
- Serve Chilled.
Eggnog is a traditional dish, during this time shops are full of eggnogs but nothing can beat the warmth of homemade eggnog. So, here is an recipe you can use to wow the people around you.[table “127” not found /]
- In a saucepan, add milk, cinnamon, cloves, and ½ tsp vanilla essence and let the milk come to boil at a low temperature.
- In a bowl, add the sugar and egg yolks, and whisk till the mixture becomes light and fluffy.
- Now gradually, add the boiled milk and continue whisking till all ingredients are mixed.
- Transfer, the ingredients into the saucepan again and put the saucepan back on heat at a low temperature.
- Stir constantly, till the mixture thickens. However, make sure that the mixture does not start boiling.
- Strain the mix and set it aside for one hour.
- Add 2 tsp vanilla essence, nutmeg, whipping cream and rum to the mixture and stir.
- Put this mix in the refrigerator, and leave it overnight.
- Serve cold.
3Mushroom and Spinach Strudel:
India is a land of vegetarians too, so, we thought, let’s bring some vegetarian appetizers to the lunch menu, just to bring some more diversity to the table. Here is an easy dish:[table “128” not found /]
- In a pan, heat some oil, add onions and let them cook till they are golden brown. Stir often to avoid burning any slices.
- Once the onions are golden brown, add mushroom stock and the stock reduce to about half.
- Add the Mushrooms in the pan and cook till the stock has dried up.
- Add the spinach along with salt and pepper.
- Allow the spinach to cook and wilt, as it expels water.
- Ensure that most of the liquid in the pan has evaporated before taking the pan off the heat, covering it up and keeping it aside.
- In another bowl, use your hands to mash out the paneer smoothly.
- Now add olive oil, cream cheese, and tahini dressing. You can add salt and pepper according to your taste here.
- Now, add the spinach and mushroom mix to the paneer mix and whisk and fold till all ingredients are mixed well together.
- Now, roll out your puff pastry sheet and cut it in the size you want. Make sure that the surface you are rolling your puff pastry sheet on is well floured.
- Once you have rolled out and cut your sheet into desirable proportion, fill half of each portion with the mushroom-spinach-paneer mix. Ensure that you leave a border as you fill out the portions.
- Now fold the unfilled parts of the pastry sheets on top of the filled once and use your fingers to press and twist the border ends to ensure that each puff is well locked.
- Now, use a knife to make 2-5 (depending on the size of your strudels) small incisions on the top of the portions.
- Preheat an oven at 350 degrees.
- Grease a baking dish and add the strudels.
- Bake at 375 degrees for around 30-40 mins or till the pastry starts looking flaky and has a golden tinge.
- Once the pastry is done, let it cool in the oven for 10 minutes, before taking it out and cutting it.
- Serve fresh.
4Chicken and Waffles Tiny Bites:
For everyone who finds immense happiness and comfort in mixing their sweet and salty dishes, like eating chips with chocolate, this dish is the ultimate feel-good beauty. It beautifully mixes the sweetness of honey and waffles and just enough saltiness and spice which is added with the presence of fried chicken and cheese.[table “129” not found /]
For the Waffles
- In a bowl sieve together 2 cups of maida, baking powder, and baking soda.
- Now in a different bowl, add sugar, ¾ cup oil, 2 Eggs, vanilla essence, and curd and whip. Keep whipping till you get a consistent and light mixture.
- Now, gradually add the maida mix into the batter. Fold the dry elements with the help of a spatula.
- Once the dry elements have been folded in, whisk to get a consistent batter.
- Now grease the waffle iron and allow it to heat.
- Add the batter to the iron and press.
- Check constantly, the waffle will be ready once it has become fluffy and has a golden- brown colour.
- You can cook the waffle till you get the desired colour of your waffle.
- Once your waffle is done, take it out with the help of tongs.
- Cut the waffle into bite sizes and keep aside.
For the Fried Chicken
- Cut the chicken into bite-size slices, corresponding with the size of your waffles.
- Now, in three different bowls, take out the remaining eggs, one cup of maida sieved with cornflour, and bread crumbs, respectively.
- Whisk the eggs with some salt and pepper.
- Now, coat the chicken with the maida and cornflour mix, then dip it in egg and finally roll the chicken slices in the breadcrumb.
- Now, heat the 8 tbsp oil in a pan and add the coated chicken slices and cook on low to medium heat, till the crust of the chicken takes a golden colour and becomes crunchy.
- Take the chicken slices out of the oil and roll them on a piece of tissue paper and keep them aside.
Garnishing and Serving
- In a small bowl add the honey and chili flakes and mix well.
- Now, place a slice of the chicken on top of the bite-sized waffle. Use a toothpick to hold the two together.
- Drizzle some honey on the chicken and top it off with some grated parmesan cheese.
5Shells Stuffed With Three Cheese and Vegetables:
Here is a delectable vegetarian main course which no one can deny. It is not just visibly appetizing, it is also healthy and delicious to taste.[table “130” not found /]
- Add the marinara sauce to a baking dish and spread it evenly at the base.
- In a large bowl, add the spinach, malai paneer, broccoli florets, ¼ cup mozzarella cheese, and parmesan cheese. Add salt and pepper to taste and mix well.
- Carefully spoon the mix into the shells, filling them up.
- Add these shells on top of the sauce in the baking cup.
- Now, sprinkle the remaining mozzarella cheese on the shells.
- Preheat your oven at 400 degrees.
- Add the baking dish and bake for 10-12 minutes or till the cheese starts getting a golden-brown tinge.
- Bake for another 2-3 minutes, before switching off the oven.
- Let the dish stay in the oven for a few minutes.
- While the dish rests, toss chopped onions, lettuce, zucchini, vinegar, salt and pepper in a bowl and mix.
- Serve the dish hot with the salad.
6Roasted Mushroom and Veggies:
Here is a side dish which can be used alongside anything, especially a good steak, whether the steak is chicken or mutton.[table “131” not found /]
- Add the mushrooms and vegetables in a bowl, along with olive oil, seasoning, garlic, and salt and pepper and toss them together till they are well mixed.
- Now transfer all of the contents of the bowl on a baking tray.
- Preheat the oven at 400 degrees, and roast the vegetables for 20-30 minutes, within this time, the cauliflower would have softened enough to be pierced by a fork and the mushroom would have a golden tinge.
- Take out the roasted vegetables, sprinkle some coriander leaves on top and serve.
Note: You can add as many vegetables as you wish to this mix, you can add baby carrots of chopped carrots, zucchini, beans, broccoli, baby corn and so on.
7Grilled Pineapple and Chicken:
Pineapple belongs everywhere, including Pizza. So, it is but natural, that this tart and sweet fruit will also belong with a chicken steak. Trust us, we tried this at home and it is delicious![table “132” not found /]
- In a bowl add sriracha sauce, sugar, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, and 1 cup pineapple juice.
- Now cover the chicken breasts with cling film, and pound the chicken till all of them are turned into even formed patties.
- Now, add these chicken pieces into the marinade bowl. Cover and refrigerate.
- Let the chicken rest in this mix for 1-6 hours, depending on the time available to you.
- Now preheat the oven at 375 degrees Fahrenheit to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Add the chicken pieces on a well-oiled grill rack along with pineapple pieces and grill till the chicken takes a golden tinge. You may have to remove the pineapple before the chicken.
- Once the chicken is done, decorate the plate with chicken and grilled pineapples and serve hot.
8Barbecued Lamb Ribs and Smoked Eggplant:
A slightly complicated dish but a dish for grabs. It is labour intensive but for those who love to experiment, this is the dish to challenge your creativity and excite your taste buds.[table “133” not found /]
- Heat a pan, add 2 tsp peppercorns, coriander seeds, fennel seeds, bay leaves, thyme, and rosemary and dry roast the spices till they start giving off a fragrance.
- Now, add about 1 liter of water to the pan, and toss in crushed garlic cloves, orange zest, orange juice, brown sugar, rock salt, salt flakes, chili flakes, and chili powder and bring to a boil, whisking occasionally to mix sugar and salt.
- Once the mix has boiled, take the pan off the heat, and add three more liters of water and set this pan aside to cool.
- Once the brine has cooled down, add the lamb racks to the brine and refrigerate for 6-24 hours (depending on the time in your hands).
- For the smoked eggplant, start a barbecue, once it’s hot enough, add the well-oiled eggplant with deep incisions at the base, to the grill rack and use a fork or knife to pierce the eggplant to ensure that the smoky taste goes in too. Alternatively, you can simply smoke the eggplants on the fire from your gas stove.
- Once the eggplant is done, put it in a bowl of water to cool, before taking it out and peeling its skin off.
- You can either chop or mash the flesh of the eggplant and set aside.
- Repeat the same process with the red bell pepper.
- Now, in a pan heat some olive oil and add onion, garlic and cook till golden brown. Now add tomato, sugar, vinegar, black, and green olives, cut eggplants pieces, red bell pepper, and coriander leaves.
- Add salt to taste, along with ¼ cup of water and allow the mix to simmer and dry completely.
- Once it is cooked, set it aside to cool.
- Now, on a pan, smoke remaining coriander seeds, fennel seeds, cumin seeds, chili flakes, and red chili powder. Once they start leaving fragrance, remove the spices from the pan and let them cool.
- Add them to a blender and blend.
- Once, your mutton has been marinaded enough, remove from the brine and pat dry with the help of paper towels.
- Now rub each side of the rack with olive oil and sprinkle the smoked and powdered spices on the racks, ensuring that each side is well coated.
- Now, firmly wrap each of the lamb racks in aluminium foil and place them on grill rack.
- Now preheat an oven at 160 degrees and then cook the mutton at the same temperature for 2- 2 ½ hours. By this time the mutton will become tender.
- Take the mutton out and let it rest for over 30 minutes before starting a barbecue or your grill.
- Grill the mutton pieces for about 20-24 minutes (10-12 minutes each side).
In a bowl combine yogurt, chili flakes, chili oil, olive oil, and coriander chutney and blend well.
Tying the Dish Together
Serve the lamb rack hot, with a side serving of the yogurt sauce and smoked eggplant.
Fish pie is fairly simple to make but comes packed with fairly complex flavours. This is the easiest recipe for a fish pie that we could lay our hands on. You can substitute your favourite fish with the fish suggested here, this includes Salmon![table “134” not found /]
- Boil the broccoli in salted water, till it gets tender, strain and wash in cold water and keep aside.
- In a large pan, heat 25 gms of butter. Once the butter melts, stir maida in the pans and combine the butter and maida. Ensure that no lumps are left behind.
- Take the pan off the heat and add fish stock and wine, and stir vigorously. Beat if you have to, but ensure that no lumps are left.
- Put the pan on heat again, and let the mixture simmer and thicken for 15 minutes.
- Add the cream next, mix well and let the mixture simmer again for 10 minutes.
- Once the cream has simmered at the kasundhi.
- Now, preheat the oven at 180-degree Celsius or 160-degree Fahrenheit.
- As the oven is getting heated, add the fish, prawns, and broccoli florets to the pan with the sauce and stir till all of them are coated with the sauce.
- Brush a baking dish with butter, pour in the sauce and fish, cover the top with potato slices and bake for 25 minutes.
- Once the fish has been baked for 25 minutes, grill it for 6-8 minutes.
- Serve Hot.
10Peppermint and Chocolate Fudge:
No lunch or brunch could be complete without a dessert. While we have shared a whole host of dessert and Christmas Cakes ideas in a previous post, here is a quick dessert recipe in case you are running out of time.[table “135” not found /]
- Line a baking dish with butter paper and then lightly brush it with butter.
- In a double boiler add the dark chocolate, white chocolate, and condensed milk and keep stirring till the temperature on your candy thermometer shows 160. The chocolate would have melted and blended well together.
- Pour in mint essence, add one drop at a time till you reach the level of minty flavour you need.
- Now, add the vanilla essence and coffee and stir well.
- Pour the chocolate mix into the baking dish
- Refrigerate the mix for 1-2 hours.
- Take out, add sprinkles and cut into cubes of equal shape.
- Serve cold.
Related Read: 10 Cake Recipes To Make Your Christmas Special
So, there, we have over 10 amazing recipes to give a continental twist to your Christmas lunch or brunch, whichever you prefer. We hope you have a very Merry Christmas with these dishes.